The landscape with a wide valley, the hilly relief covered in deciduous tree forests, and the plateau situated on the hilltop attracted the German settlers, who named the place „Wurmloch” (Wurm-Loh means snakes’ forest). By translating it, the Hungarians gave another meaning to the village name, „Nagybáramlak” -“cattle fair”. Another interpretation of the name Vorumloc – is „wormhole”, in the sense of a place protected from wind and cold air currents – reveals its mild climate that creates favourable conditions for agriculture, and especially viticulture. The settlement consists of two villages: Valea Viilor and Motiş village, located 5 km from the village administrative centre.
Seven centuries ago – alongside the meadow, now strewn with gardens and hayfields – the Saxon colonists founded these settlements; nowadays, they still retain the imprint of the old rural settlements developed along the water courses. These villages preserve the cultural landscape of both Saxon and Romanian cultures, as the two ethnic groups who lived here together, their districts being well preserved, like many of their traditions – some of which are currently disappearing. The villages provide not only relevant images of how the peasant cottages were established organized, in a way specific to Transylvania, but also about how they cultivate their plots of land.
Images about the vineyards – cultivated on every single plot of land, from the terraces up to the hills around the village – are still alive in these settlements. It was not by chance that, in 1964, the village was named Valea Viilor (Vineyard Valley), confirming the main occupation of the inhabitants. Valea Viilor, situated just 5 kilometers from Copşa Mică, is accessible both by the modernized county road, and along the village boundary roads, and also along the foot pathways that connect it to the villages of Axente Sever, Şoala, Moardăş (along the Buii Valley), Motiş, Alma Vii, Moşna, Ighişu Nou and Târnava.
The document certifying the settlement for the first time as “terra seu villa Baromlak” is dated 15 April 1305, being hand-written in Latin, in the Capitulum of the city of Alba Iulia. In 1305, Valea Viilor was a nobleman’s property, being a subservient village. In the course of time, the village assumed various names: Wurmloch – 1357, Borumlaka- 1359, Baramlaka– 1397, Barumlaka– 1399, Baromlak– 1411, Barlak – 1414, Wrmlack, Wrmloch – 1415, Wormlacz, Wurmlach, Wrmlach – 1425, Wrmlak – 1429, Barumlacher – 1532, Wurremloch – 1733, Vorumlok – 1750, Vurmloch – 1760-1762, Vorumloch – 1805, Vormlok – 1850, Baromlaka, Wurmloch, Vurmloc – 1854, ValeaViilor – 1964. In 1918, the Romanians campaigned for changing the name of Vorumloc into Văleni, and in 1942 into ValeaVinului, and it was only in 1964 that the current name was officially decreed.
Wandering these places, you will discover the thrill of returning HOME
Ilie – Avram Pinte
Mayor of Valea Viilor